- ASP is an old (but still powerful) tool for making dynamic Web pages.
- ASP is a technology (much like PHP) for executing scripts on a web server.
Easy Learning with “Show Example”
- This ASP tutorial contains hundreds of examples.
- Our “Show Example” tool makes it easy to learn ASP, because it shows ASP code with parallel HTML output.
response.write(“My first ASP script!”)
My first ASP script!
What is ASP?
- ASP stands for Active Server Pages
- ASP is a Microsoft Technology
- ASP is a program that runs inside a web server
What is an ASP File?
- An ASP file has the file extension “.asp”
- An ASP file is just the same as an HTML file
- An ASP file can contain server scripts in addition to HTML
- Server scripts in an ASP file are executed on the server
Components of ASP:
- Edit, change, add content, or customize any web page
- Respond to user queries or data submitted from HTML forms
- Access databases or other server data and return results to a browser
- Provide web security since ASP code cannot be viewed in a browser
- Offer simplicity and speed
- When a browser requests a normal HTML file, the server just returns the file.
- When a browser requests an ASP file, the server passes the request to the ASP engine which reads the ASP file and executes the server scripts in the file.
- Finally the ASP file is returned to the browser as plain HTML.